Universal Free School Meals and Eligiblility for Free School Meals (FSM)
The Children and Families Act 2014 places a legal duty on all state-funded schools in England,
including academies and free schools to offer a free school lunch to all pupils in reception,
year 1 and year 2 from September 2014.
This is NEW and means all pupils in Reception, Year 1 and 2 can receive a meal from the school
canteen. Parents who prefer to provide a lunch box may do so but we will follow the same routine at registration, where the child will inform the teacher of their choice for lunch.
Free School Meals (FSM)
Eligibility criteria for other groups
Existing entitlements to free school meals for disadvantaged pupils in key stages 2 will continue
as now, based on the existing free school meals eligibility criteria.
In England, children at key stage 2 in state-funded schools are entitled to receive FSM if their
parents or carers are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
• Income Support
• Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
• the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
• Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and
• Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax
• During the initial roll out of the benefit, Universal Credit
Advice to Parents: IF YOUR CHILD IS ENTITLED TO FSM BASED ON THE ABOVE CRITERIA,
IRRESPECTIVE OF THE YEAR GROUP YOUR CHILD IS IN– WE STILL NEED YOU TO COME
TO THE OFFICE AND COMPLETE A FORM. We understand the confusion but are more than
happy to meet with you in the office to guide you through this. Please contact the office if you are
in receipt of the above benefits and would like to apply for free school meals.